Today the grade 3s engaged in lots of experiments to develop our understanding of solids, liquids and gases.
“I learnt a new word today, which means that a substance is between a solid and a liquid”- Zane.
“I learnt how to make slime, and mixing Bi Carb soda and vinegar makes a rocket”- Leila
“I learnt a whole new recipe for slime”- Harry C
This is a fun and easy slime to make. Make it with white glue for opaque slime, or glue gel for translucent slime.
What You Need:
- Elmer’s white glue or Elmer’s school glue gel
- Borax (find in the laundry detergent aisle of the store)
- Two bowls
- Food coloring (optional)
- What You Do:
- In one bowl mix 1/2 cup (4 oz) glue and 1/2 cup water. Add food coloring if you want colored slime.
- In the other bowl, mix 1 teaspoon borax with 1 cup water until the borax is dissolved.
- Add the glue mixture to the borax solution, stirring slowly.
- The slime will begin to form immediately; stir as much as you can, then dig in and knead it with your hands until it gets less sticky. (No one makes slime without getting a little messy!) Don’t worry about any leftover water in the bowl; just pour it out.
The glue has an ingredient called polyvinyl acetate, which is a liquid polymer. The borax links the polyvinyl acetate molecules to each other, creating one large, flexible polymer. This kind of slime will get stiffer and more like putty the more you play with it.
Store it in a plastic bag in the fridge, to keep it from growing mould.
“I learnt how to make slime, and how to make a rocket”- Taj Daly
“I leant a new word, and making rockets” Harry S
“I learnt a new word, and also putting pencils through a bag of water, without spilling any”- Mitch
“I learnt how to make slime, and found it interesting when you add Bi Carb soda and vinegar to make a rocket”- Josh
“I learnt how to make slime, and rockets”- Kayla
“I learnt how to make slime, and also making rockets”- Baz
“I learnt how to make slime, and a new word”- Flynn Wiffen
“I learnt how to make slime”- Taj Don
“I learnt how to make rockets, and fish with magnets”- Aston
“We learnt how to make slime”- Greta, Sophie and Meg.
“Making a rocket by combining vinegar and Bi Carb soda”- Ginger
What do you know about solids, liquids and gases?
What would you like to investigate?